Sunday, April 20, 2008

Palm Springs

Now that we have a family blog, not just a baby blog, I can post about me!

I was in Palm Springs last week for a work trip that was a great experience. I saw Jay Leno do stand-up and then got to meet him! We had a motivational speaker, Nando Parraro who wrote the book that the movie "Alive" is based on and heard "the Funk Brothers". Of course, here is some info and some pictures.

On Friday 13th October 1972, an Uruguayan airplane that took 45 passengers towards Chile, of which many were students and players of a rugby team, crashed in the Cordillera de los Andes. Twelve died because of the crash and fall, and the survivors had to support among other things to the frightful Cordillera, thirty degrees Celsius below zero during the nights, and hunger.After eleven days, very weak and determined... after crossing the Andes on foot and loosing 40 kgs of weight... finds a shepherd in the mountains, who looks for help in a near town. One patrol arrives and then, the helicopters….Nando rises the helicopter and guide the initial rescue of his companions, before being committed in the Hospital of San Fernando. The 22nd December 1972, after being isolated of everything during 72 days, the world finds out that sixteen are the survivors who beat death, in the Cordillera de los Andes.

The Funk Brothers was the nickname given to a group of Detroit, Michigan, session musicians who performed on the backing tracks to most Motown Records recordings from 1959 until 1972, when the company moved to Los Angeles. The Funk Brothers played on many major Motown hits such as "My Girl", "I Heard It Through the Grapevine", "Baby Love", "Signed, Sealed, Delivered I'm Yours", "Papa Was a Rollin' Stone", "The Tears of a Clown", and "(Love is Like a) Heat Wave". We saw Eddie Willis, Bob Babbit, Uriel Jones.


No comments: